In the early morning hours of February 11th, 1977, a fire ravaged through the Sandford Fleming building at the University of Toronto. While there were no serious injuries or loss of life, the damage to the building was extreme, and the loss of years of irreplaceable research materials was devastating. However, through the smoke and water emerged stories of resilience and quick-thinking, resulting in the salvage of many irreplaceable books and computer tapes. Ultimately, Sandford Fleming reopened in 1982, and continues to serve the engineering and computer science community at U of T to this day. This exhibit seeks to commemorate the 40-year anniversary since the burning of Sandford Fleming, through sharing stories and artifacts from this fateful event.
This exhibit spans the 140 year (1878-2018) history of the buildings and spaces used by the Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering at the University of Toronto. Some have been demolished, transformed by additions, shifted from other departments or built from the ground up. Associated with many of these buildings are the stories about their namesakes, which are also included in this exhibit.